Struggling to decide if you should declutter an item?
Maybe you don’t love it but you feel bad about letting it go.
Maybe you haven’t used it yet and you plan to get around to it.
It’s tough, no?
Sometimes the typical “do I need this?” or “do I love this” just doesn’t cut it.
So here are some more creative ways you can make your decluttering decisions.
Use these declutter questions to help you decide if you want to declutter something
- Would I pack it and move it to a new home?
- Will I even remember to look for it?
- Do I have another item that would serve the same purpose?
- Here’s another *ahem* interesting take on it!
- Can it be of (better) use by someone else?
- Will the cats try and destroy it if I move it to a better location in the house?
- How often will I use it?
- Why have I kept this?
Having brought in most of my mom’s stuff, I’ve slowly purged many items, realizing I’ll never use it. Initially, it was I had no time or emotional room to consider everything in detail. Now it’s easier for me to decide that someone else would enjoy the items more than I will.
- If I did not have it, would I buy this item again?
- If I lost it in a fire would I be disappointed? That’s what I ask myself.
- If someone else saw this, would they decide it was trash?
- Is it still edible?
- Will my son need it or even want it when he moves out?
- Does it fit with my dream for the future?
- Is it mine?
Items that are ‘household’ rather than personal may need some agreement. Items that are truly your own need no such consideration.
- Did I even know I had this? How delighted am I to have discovered it, and is it likely I will forget about it again?
- I might love it, but can I still use it?
- Does someone need it more than me?
- Will my child or grandchildren want this even if I keep it for them?
- Is it fun or enjoyable?
- I like the idea of being a roller skating diva, but am I really going to BE a roller skating diva? (Or insert DREAM HERE________)
- Will my mother-in-law notice it’s missing?
- Do I want to carry this into the next stage of my life?
- If it were ruined in a natural disaster, would and/or could I replace it?
What do you ask yourself when decluttering?
PS Want some more “traditional” questions to ask when decluttering?
Here are our original 10 Decluttering Questions.
Your DIY Guide to all things decluttering!