Do you ever feel like your kitchen is a restaurant open 24/7?
My hungry family makes me feel this way, especially around the holidays. That’s why a busy mom has to work smart. Save some time in the kitchen with these 18 kitchen cleaning hacks.
Affiliate links are present in this post.
18 kitchen cleaning hacks to make your life a little easier
Kitchen Cleaning Hacks for the Fridge
1. Line your fridge shelves with placemats for easy clean-up and a spot of color. (Try these fridge mats from Amazon.)
2. Use bins in the fridge to keep things organized. This makes a huge difference!
3. No time to clean the fridge? Just do a quick wash of the dirtiest shelf and a quick wipe down of any drips.
4. Add a drop of lemon essential oil to an open box of baking soda to freshen and absorb odors in the fridge.
5. Line your fridge’s produce drawers with a couple of sheets of newspaper. They will absorb odors and you can easily swap them out when they get damp or dirty.
Kitchen Cleaning Hacks for the Dishes
6. Glass food storage containers don’t leach potentially harmful chemicals like plastic ones do. They’re also more easily cleaned than plastic and last forever.
7. Label leftovers right on the dish with an erasable glass marker. Consider adding a date so you know how old something is.
8. Keep a heavy-duty scrubber by your kitchen sink for easy cleaning of pots and pans.
9. Put dishwasher detergent into an open jar and add a spoon. You’ll be able to add a spoonful of detergent to your dishwasher more quickly and neatly than pouring from a heavy box. (Pods are also great.)
10. Half-pint-sized mason jars make perfect cups for preschoolers. They tip over less easily than plastic ones and are virtually indestructible. Add a drink top lid (like these on Amazon) to make the cup spill-proof.
11. Let your dishwasher do the heavy cleaning. Many dishwashers these days can save you time on pre-rinsing, soaking, and scrubbing.
Kitchen Cleaning Hacks for Kitchen Appliances
12. Clean your dishwasher every couple of months to keep it smelling fresh and working well.
13. Use a coffee filter to cover items in the microwave that may splatter. It will save you from having to wipe out the microwave.
14. Line the bottom of your oven with aluminum foil for quick clean-up of spills.
Kitchen Cleaning Hacks for the Kitchen Counters
15. Use a pretty tray to corral dish soap, scrubber, and hand soap. The counter stays dry and the sink looks a little neater.
16. Use kitchen washcloths instead of sponges. When one gets dirty, you can toss it into your laundry and grab a fresh one. Sponges tend to collect bacteria and odors.
Related Read: Clutter hotspot: Kitchen counters (before and after)
Kitchen Cleaning Hacks for the Kitchen as a Whole
17. Make sure to use this simple tip to keep your whole house cleaner, not just the kitchen.
18. Separate your kitchen into zones for easy organization and food prep.